Author: Rajesh Chatha / Editor: Rajesh Chatha, Robert Hirst / Codes: / Published: 24/02/2022
At TERN Education we are keen to help you learn how to critically evaluate the evidence base behind your practice. In order to do this, we have been producing monthly virtual journal club (VJC) modules on RCEMLearning since March 2021.
Welcome to February 2022s Virtual Journal Club Module. This months edition is written by the TERN Education team and it looks at fluid resuscitation in sepsis.
Are you interested in writing a module? We are looking to recruit regional teams around the country to write future Modules from August. Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rivers E, Nguyen B, Havstad S, Ressler J, Muzzin A, et al. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2001; 345(19): 1368-77.
- The PRISM Investigators. Early, Goal-Directed Therapy for Septic Shock – A Patient-Level Meta-Analysis. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 376(23): 2223-2234. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1701380
- Henning DJ, Shapiro NI. Goal-Directed Resuscitation in Septic Shock: A Critical Analysis. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2016; 37(2): 231-9. doi:10.1016/j.ccm.2016.01.016
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign. Surviving Sepsis Guidelines 2021. [accessed 22nd February 2022]
- Jones AE, Brown MD, Trzeciak S, Shapiro NI, Garrett JS, Heffner AC, Kline JA; Emergency Medicine Shock Research Network investigators. The effect of a quantitative resuscitation strategy on mortality in patients with sepsis: a meta-analysis. Crit Care Med. 2008 Oct;36(10):2734-9.
- Meyhoff T, Mller M, Hjortrup P, Cronhjort M, et al. Lower vs Higher Fluid Volumes During Initial Management of Sepsis: A Systematic Review With Meta-Analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis. Chest. 2020; 157(6): 1478-1496. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2019.11.050
- Wang H, Shao J, Liu W, Wu F, Chen H, Zheng R et al. Initial fluid resuscitation (30 mL/kg) in patients with septic shock: More or less?. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2021; 50: 309-315.
- Kuttab H, Lykins J, Hughes M, Wroblewski K, et al. Evaluation and Predictors of Fluid Resuscitation in Patients With Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock. Critical Care Medicine. 2019; 47(11): 1582-1590.
- Kabil G, Frost S, Hatcher D, Shetty A, et al. Early fluid bolus in adults with sepsis in the emergency department: a systematic review, meta-analysis and narrative synthesis. BMC Emergency Medicine. 2022; 22(1): 3.
- Messmer A, Zingg C, Mller M, Gerber J, et al. Fluid Overload and Mortality in Adult Critical Care Patients- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. Critical Care Medicine. 2020; 48(12): 1862-1870. doi:10.1097/CCM.0000000000004617
- Andreas Perner. The Conservative vs. Liberal Approach to Fluid Therapy of Septic Shock in Intensive Care Trial (CLASSIC). [accessed 23 February 2022].
- Kattan E, Ospina-Tascn G, Teboul J, Castro R, et al. Systematic assessment of fluid responsiveness during early septic shock resuscitation: secondary analysis of the ANDROMEDA-SHOCK trial. Critical Care. 2020; 24(1): 23. doi:10.1186/s13054-020-2732-y
- Tseng C, Chen T, Wu M, et al. Resuscitation fluid types in sepsis, surgical, and trauma patients: a systematic review and sequential network meta-analyses. Critical Care. 2020; 24(1): 693. doi:10.1186/s13054-020-03419-y
- The University of Edinburg. ABC Sepsis Team. ABC Sepsis. Edinburg Clinical Trials Unit (ECTU), 2022. [accessed 23 February 2022]
- Li Y, Li H, Zhang D. Timing of norepinephrine initiation in patients with septic shock: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Critical Care. 2020; (24)1: 488. doi:10.1186/s13054-020-03204-x
- The PETAL Network. CLOVERS: Crystalloid Liberal or Vasopressors Early Resuscitation in Sepsis. 2022. [Accessed 22nd February 2022]
- Sepsis Research. EVIS [Accessed 22nd February 2022]
- Douglas I, Alapat P, Corl K, Exline M, et al. Fluid Response Evaluation in Sepsis Hypotension and Shock. A Randomized Clinical Trial. Chest. 2020; 158(4): 1431-1445. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2020.04.025
- Abraha I, Montedori A, Romagnoli C. Modified Intention to Treat: frequency, definition and implication for clinical trials. In: Evidence-based health care for all. Abstracts of the 15th Cochrane Colloquium; 2007 23-27 Oct; Sao Paulo, Brazil. 2007.